[Dovecot] LDA Sieve feature request

Luca Corti cortez at tiscali.it
Fri May 12 16:42:47 EEST 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-12 at 09:25 -0400, John Peacock wrote:
> SIEVE is not just some clever scheme that Timo (or anyone else) just
> made up.  Each library implementation may be independent, but the
> language and its behavior are publicly defined:
>
> http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3028.html
>
> If you don't like the limitations of Sieve (which was a deliberate
> choice, BTW), then maildrop and procmail are just down the hall... ;-)

I know SIEVE is a standard language defined by an RFC. I admit I do not
know much about SIEVE internals, but I still think it is quite cool
featurewise and like it more than adding one more MDA, be it
maildrop/procmail/whatever, to the delivery pipe when I can do much more
using just the dovecot LDA.

I'll do my homework on the SIEVE RFCs and come back with some hopefully
more interesting and useful ideas on the subject. That said I think this
is more dovecot/LDA related than SIEVE related, since we are discussing
about how script execution should be hadled and organized, not about the
SIEVE language itself. All you need to know from the SIEVE code is what
actually happened to the message after filtering, then you can decide
how tyo handle execution of the remaining scripts.

Please, prove me wrong so that I can happily say RTFM to myself :)

--
Luca Corti
PGP Key ID 1F38C091