[Dovecot] My view on 1.0 release and version numbering

Mark Nienberg gmane at tippingmar.com
Tue Jul 25 20:07:47 EEST 2006

Timo Sirainen wrote:

> I've again 125 unread mails in this list, but I don't think there's
> anything too bad left. SSL code is the only thing I'm concerned about,
> but I think I fixed that in CVS today.

I'm using beta9 in production and I've been reluctant to test the RCs because of an
earlier post regarding new problems with SSL.  I'd love to see another RC with the
SSL fix so I can give it a try.  I know I could build from CVS, but I'm lazy and
addicted to ATrpms.

Of course you can do whatever you want, and whatever you do I will appreciate it, but
I wonder if the Release Candidate stage is the right time to be rewriting sections of
the code that already seem to work.  Maybe you should have a stable fork and a
testing fork of the code and try out new stuff in the testing fork?  The stable fork
would be nothing but bugfixes at this point.  I understand that maintaining two
versions is another layer of complexity that you may not want to get involved in
though.  Whatever, thanks again for dovecot and the support of it.

Mark