[Dovecot] /var/spool/mail directory size and subdirectories

David Lee t.d.lee at durham.ac.uk
Wed Jul 19 19:41:03 EEST 2006

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006, Frank Cusack wrote:

> On July 19, 2006 3:49:17 PM +0100 David Lee <t.d.lee at durham.ac.uk> wrote:
> > to UW-IMAP ("c-client") to use subdirectories "/var/spool/mail/00/" to
> > "/var/spool/mail/99/" based on a trivially simply "uid mod 100" algorithm.
> > (Our uids are random; our usernames are not.)  Thus we had 100 subdirs
> > each of about 200 entires.  Efficiency and performance vastly improved,
> > and we've been running like that ever since.
> >
> > Now we are considering migrating to dovecot...
> >
> > Does dovecot do file creation/deletion in this (or similar shared)
> > directory?  (And so would it be liable to the same inefficiency problems?)
>
> If you are migrating, why not change to maildir in $HOME?

Other local political constraints mean that this proposed UW->dovecot
transition has to be a minimally invasive thing.  It is viewed as a
band-aid onto the existing service rather than as a major upgrade.

(Yes, I'd love to re-work the whole lot, including the folder locations.
But that's not an option...)

:  Senior Systems Programmer                Computer Centre       :
:                                           Durham University     :
:                                           Durham DH1 3LE        :