[Dovecot] New User: POP3 issues

kyrrin at bluefeathertech.com kyrrin at bluefeathertech.com
Sun Jul 9 22:32:51 EEST 2006

Fellow dovecot'ers,

I'm just getting started with Dovecot, and I'm not a programmer, so please be
gentle. ;-)

THE PLATFORM: NetBSD 3.0/SPARC, Postfix 2.3-RC8, current Dovecot RC (I
forgot the number). Maildir-type directories.

THE GOAL: To accommodate authenticated (remote) POP3 users with APOP or
SSL/TLS, and allow users on the internal network (192.168.x.x) to just use basic
POP3 without worrying about authentication.

QUESTIONS:

(1) Does the dovecot master daemon have to be running in order to call pop3-
login from inetd, in response to POP connection attempts? If so, it could be a
problem. I'm getting this error when I try to start the thing.

featherweb: {339} /usr/local/sbin/dovecot
Fatal: listen(110) failed: Address already in use
featherweb: {340}

(2) For apop authentication, how do I go about generating the shared secret file
locally, for each user? Is there a script that came with dovecot or...?

(3) Is there a trick, similar to postfix's 'postconf -n,' that will give a condensed
output of dovecot's configuration file?

(4) I'm currently using sasl auth for Postfix's SMTP auth function. How difficult is it
to use Dovecot for the same thing?

(5) GAAAAHHHHH! (Just on general principles, based on the hours I've spent
trying to get everything working).

Thanks in advance.

---
Bruce 'Quietly Making Noise' Lane