[Dovecot] problems getting dovecot-LDA to work

Alan Premselaar alien at 12inch.com
Wed Apr 26 05:58:55 EEST 2006

I've setup a test machine and have been playing with dovecot-1.0beta7
and dovecot-lda in preparation for a migration from 0.99.x series.
(hopefully with the ability to support imap-quotas)

anyways, i've got it all compiled fine (as far as I can tell) and
following the directions on the wiki for setting up dovecot LDA with
sendmail. (I've had to alter the configuration a bit since using the
mailertable didn't work with my actual hostname).

when I try to use /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/deliver via sendmail, i get
a EX_TEMPFAIL.  I logged into the machine as the user I'm trying to
deliver mail for and do the following:

/usr/local/libexec/dovecot/deliver -d alan

and get the following error:

deliver: Error: Ambiguous mail location setting, don't know what to do
with it: /var/spool/mail/alan (try prefixing it with mbox: or maildir:)
deliver: Fatal: Failed to create storage for 'alan' with mail
'/var/spool/mail/alan'

in /usr/local/etc/dovecot.conf I have the following:

protocol lda {

        postmaster_address = postmaster at pluto.valueclick.ne.jp
        auth_socket_path = /var/run/dovecot/auth-master

        location = maildir:~/Maildir:INDEX=/var/indexes/%u

}

I tried setting the default_mail_env with the same settings but got the
same results (i did a complete restart of the dovecot services)

I've even specified the config file with:

/usr/local/libexec/dovecot/deliver -c /usr/local/etc/dovecot.conf -d alan

with the same results.

Google is not my friend with this problem.  Can anyone point me in the
right direction to solve this problem?

Thanks,

alan