[Dovecot] Error by POP3 login

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Apr 21 16:57:54 EEST 2006

On Mon, 2006-04-17 at 19:22 +0200, Marc-André Appel wrote:
> Hello!
>
> After the success to get Dovecot finally running i have now another
> problem, but don't know what is wrong there, this is the message i
> got:
>
> pop3(contact at maddy.cc): Failed to create storage with
> data: /var/vmail/maddy.cc/contact/
>
> What does it mean?

I guess you're using 0.99.x Doveocot? 1.0betas give better error
messages and work better in general, so I'd suggest using them instead.

This error anyway means that your default_mail_env (or mail from userdb)
doesn't tell Dovecot what /var/vmail/maddy.cc/contact/ is. Is it a mbox
or maildir? So prefix the path with mbox: or maildir: and it should
work.