[Dovecot] INBOX as mbox, other mailboxes as maildir

Paul de Weerd weerd at weirdnet.nl
Mon Apr 17 03:11:23 EEST 2006

All,

I'm trying to teach dovecot to use the mbox format for /var/mail/%u
and maildir for /home/%u/Mail/ but I'm having quite a hard time. This
is Dovecot v1.0.beta3 under OpenBSD 3.9 on sparc64.

I've been fiddling with default_mail_env and also tried separate
namespaces, but all to no avail. Here's some of the things I tried :

default_mail_env = maildir:/home/%u/Maildir:INBOX=mbox:/var/mail/%u
default_mail_env = INBOX=mbox:/var/mail/%u:MAIL=maildir:/home/%u/Maildir/
namespace private {
        separator = /
        prefix =
        inbox = yes
        location = mbox:/var/mail/%u
}
namespace private {
        separator = /
        prefix = "Folders/"
        location = maildir:/home/%u/Mail
}

But all it does is complain that my mbox files dont have a cur/
directory in them or create mbox-type files in /home/%u/mail/, in
stead of saving my mail in a maildir under /home/%u/Mail/. So using
namespaces doesn't seem to be such a good idea after all, I can have
extra maildirs under Folders/ in ~/Mail, but that's not where my
IMAP client saves its sent mail.

I'm quite obviously doing something wrong, is this possible at all ?
What is the correct incantation for the default_mail_env setting for
such a setup ?

Any clues would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers,

Paul 'WEiRD' de Weerd