[Dovecot] Full text search indexing

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Apr 6 17:29:33 EEST 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-06 at 05:55 -0400, Bill Boebel wrote:
> On Thu, April 6, 2006 4:56, Steffen Kaiser said:
> >
> > Hmm, I'm not certain if yet another search engine is really good, I mean:
> >
> > So, how about a search API one can call an external indexing service?
> >

> I like this idea.  Add a hook to call a plugin for: (1) indexing new
> messages, (2) moving/deleting messages, and (3) performing full text
> searches.

Well, those are all already possible to do with plugins. :) It could be
made easier though.

> It seems reasonable these days with GB+ sized mailboxes, to violate this
> part of the IMAP RFC (2060) and use a powerful search engine like Lucene
> which doesn't support substring matches:
>
>   6.4.4.  SEARCH Command
>       ..
>       In all search keys that use strings, a message matches the key if
>       the string is a substring of the field.

I've also been thinking about an IMAP extension which would allow less
strict searching as long as the client supports it. Possibly if you
really want to you could also configure Dovecot to violate the RFC with
standard SEARCH command..