[Dovecot] IMAP - many folders?

alan premselaar alien at 12inch.com
Thu Nov 18 05:29:13 EET 2004

Piotr Krukowiecki wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been reading the list and it seems the answer to my (soon to be
> asked question) is no, at least with 0.99, but I'll ask to be sure.
>
> I have following setup: new mail goes to ~/Mail/Maildir, except for
> mailing lists which are moved by procmail to ~/Mail/mailing_lists/name,
> spam which goes to ~/Mail/spam. Read mail is moved by mutt to ~/Mail/read.
> Everything is in maildir format.
>
> Is it possibile to configure dovecot in such a way to allow user to
> access all those mail folders thorough imap/pop? User can access
> ~/Mail/Maildir by setting default_mail_env, but so far nothing else.

Piotr,

   do you want your users to see their own directory heirarchy as
explained above? or to see your folders specifically?

if you want them to see their own folders in their home mail heirarchy,
then you need to make sure your mail client is configured to access
them. This is handled by subscriptions and some mail clients will
auto-subscribe to all existing folders the first time it connects to a
server (i.e. you setup the account) and some don't and you need to
specifically tell the client to subscribe.

This sounds like what your problem may be.  which mail client are you using?

hope this helps

alan