[Dovecot] dovecot-auth leaves zombies

Stefano Maffulli smaffulli at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 13:38:25 EET 2004

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 16:42:32 +0200, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
> Oh, I somehow missed the meaning of zombie word when answering :)
> Right, it shouldn't leave them. But I also don't see how it would.. It
> should get rid of them once every second. Unless the dovecot-auth
> process itself is stuck on something.
>
> If you strace the dovecot-auth process, does it show calling waitpid()
> every second?

Yes, it does.  Infact, dovecot-auth seems to be working well enough,
deleting zombie processes every second, unless the ldap server remains
stuck... I have traced the problem and it seems to be lying around
openldap, pam_ldap and nss_ldap.  Infact restarting slapd makes
dovecot-auth work again, without touching dovecot processes.

Thanks for your help.
stef