[Dovecot] Problems compiling PHP --with-imap - can't find rfc822.h

Jethro R Binks jethro.binks at strath.ac.uk
Thu Jul 29 20:09:39 EEST 2004

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004, Chris Weiss wrote:
[...]
> I'm building PHP 4.3 from the ports tree and, as per the IMP/HORDE
> readme files, added --with-imap to the makefile. Makeing PHP barfs
> with a "Cannot find rfc822.h. Please check your IMAP installation."
> error. I did some digging around and this seems to be part of
> Courier-IMAP and Mutt, but not part of Dovecot. Can this header file
> just be grabbed from Courier or Mutt and dropped into /usr/include? Is
> there something else that's got to be done here?

You usually need UW c-client installed for the PHP IMAP functions;  part
of my instructions for that include:

cp c-client/c-client.a /usr/local/lib/libc-client.a
chmod 644 /usr/local/lib/libc-client.a
cp c-client/c-client.h c-client/rfc822.hc-client/mail.h \
    c-client/linkage.h /usr/local/include/
chmod 644 /usr/local/include/c-client.h /usr/local/include/rfc822.h \
    /usr/local/include/linkage.h /usr/local/include/mail.h

which suggests c-client install itself doesn't copy this header file
somewhere useful (at the time I last did this install anyway, which was
some years probably); although perhaps your port will handle this step for
you.

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks
Computing Officer, IT Services