[Dovecot] CRAM-MD5

Joshua Goodall joshua at roughtrade.net
Fri Jul 23 02:02:46 EEST 2004

On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 03:16:20PM +0200, Felix Schwarz wrote:
> after getting dovecot working with PostgreSQL and plaintext passwords
> I tried to use md5 encrypted passwords with mozilla.
> www.roughtrade.net/dovecot says that Mozilla only supports CRAM-MD5
> and that CRAM-MD5 is included in HEAD.
>
> Now I have two questions:
> 1) Is the md5 hash stored in passdb with cram-md5 the same as in
> digest-md5?

No, it's different.

If you have userdbpw handy, you can generate the hash values with
userdbpw -hmac-md5.

> 2) Is a new dovecot stable build planned within the next two weeks
> (which includes CRAM-MD5)? (I guess the answer is no :-(

I don't think Timo wants to add new functionality in the 0.99 series.

> 3) Are there any dovecot rpms with pgsql and CRAM-md5 supprt?

Don't know about RPMs, but I do know that the NetBSD port of Dovecot
is using the patch at
http://www.roughtrade.net/dovecot/dovecot-crammd5-0.99.10.6.diff
(the NetBSD maintainer is four doors down from me).

- Joshua.

--
Joshua Goodall                           "as modern as tomorrow afternoon"
joshua at roughtrade.net                                       - FW109