[Dovecot] Problem with IMAP and MAIL environment

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Jul 19 18:51:53 EEST 2004

On 19.7.2004, at 16:14, Luis Miguel Cruz wrote:

>> Do you need to create a directory ~/master/ ?
>
> This box is horrible, some users don´t have home directory :P
> But the problem is why I need home directory if I only use pop3 with
> mailboxes under /var/spool/mail/<user>?

Dovecot needs to create it's index files somewhere, that's where you'd
need the home dir. Dovecot anyway isn't really POP3-optimized,
especially with mbox. If that's all you need you might as well use
something else.

Normally POP3 users just download their mail and delete it from server.
Then Dovecot's indexing is pointless and just slows down. If user
leaves the mail to server then indexing would help though. I think
Dovecot could theoretically only write indexes if user doesn't delete
all their mails, but .. I don't know if it's worth the trouble.