[Dovecot] Hooks on folder operations

Grahame Bowland grahame at ucs.uwa.edu.au
Wed Jul 23 17:32:24 EEST 2003

Hi all,

I'm interested in implementing an anti-spam system using bayesian
filtering. I had the idea of modifying and IMAP server to assist in
training the spam filter.

I was thinking of running a program whenever a message in moved to the
folder "Spam" or to a "Safe" folder. This could be easily added to the
server as a generic feature, with hook programs for:
  * new message in a folder (either new, or moved into the folder)
  * message in folder is modified
  * message in folder is removed
and so on. If the support was generic enough there could be many uses
for it. Security of the external program needs to be considered but
doesn't really affect the IMAP server itself.

Anyway, if I were to write a patch to add support for running an
external program in these cases, would it be included? Any feedback
would be appreciated, if I'm going to do this I might as well do it in a
way that can be integrated back into the main tree!

Cheers
Grahame

Grahame Bowland                       Email: grahame at ucs.uwa.edu.au
University Communications Services    Phone: +61 8 9380 1175
The University of Western Australia     Fax: +61 8 9380 1109
                                     CRICOS: 00126G