[dovecot] Re: shared folders?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Apr 27 19:33:23 EEST 2003

On Sun, 2003-04-27 at 17:55, Moe Wibble wrote:
> > Namespaces also tell client if a folder is user's own, other user's or
> > public (eg. news). Client might want to do things differently depending
> > on the type.
>
> Ah okay, that's the part I missed when reading about them.
> So "inbox", "public" and "shared" are not randomly chosen but actually
> tell the client (by definition) something about the nature of the
> folder?

The actual names don't matter, but just how they're liststed in
NAMESPACE reply. For example:

* NAMESPACE (("INBOX." ".")("#mbox/" "/")) (("Other users/", "/")) (("#news." ".")("Mailing lists/" "/"))

> > > Also keeping the
> > > symlink-copies in sync with the main folder seems like an expensive
> > > task to me.
> >
> > Hmm. Well, it would require that symlink is updated when flags are
> > updated in original folder.
>
> So dovecot better be the only one making changes to the the original folder?

No, it doesn't matter who does the change in the original folder.
Dovecot will just have to notice that symlink destination doesn't exist
and fix it.

> > Sure. I'm not going to add shared folder or ACL support anytime soon.
> > It's still scheduled post-1.0
>
> Well, looking forward to it. I'm a bit worried that dovecot won't be
> "slim" at all anymore by then, though.

I try to keep it unbloated :) Preferrably all IMAP extensions should be
possible to leave out at compile time, but some just are a bit too
invasive to be left out without tons of #ifdefs.