[dovecot] Re: Mbox spool; dovecot rewriting and rewriting and rewriting

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Apr 8 02:12:22 EEST 2003

On Tue, 2003-04-08 at 01:38, Ask Bjoern Hansen wrote:
> > That sounds like Mail.app is creating new custom flags. What does
> > X-IMAPbase header look like in the first mail?
>
> Ah, yes.  It keep track of the "Junk" status.

Hmm. Maybe it then starts scanning the mails from beginning and setting
the flags one by one?

> > Anyway, rewriting isn't too well optimized yet. It's a bit better in CVS
> > now and I think I could make it a bit more better for the next release
> > (which might be good enough for most), but "optimal" rewriting requires
> > a bit larger changes.
>
> So for every mail read it rewrites the 120MB file?  Ouch.  No wonder
> it's a bit slow. ;-)

Not whole file, but all mails after the one it modifies. So updating new
mails should be pretty fast.

CVS already writes some extra empty space between mails, but it's not
smart enough yet to use it for inserted headers.