[dovecot] Why can't hierarchy sep be changed?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Apr 7 22:18:50 EEST 2003

>From: Charlie Brady <charlieb at e-smith.com>

There's something wrong with manually accepting posts from
non-subscribed addresses now, they're just left to queue directory for
some reason.. Please try to keep the From-address the same as the
subscribed one.

> >From maildir-storage.c:

>         '.', /* hierarchy_sep - can't be changed */
>
> Why can't it be changed? Is this just for courier compatibility, or is
> there a deeper reason why it can't be changed?

Actually I'm going to change it to '/' to allow folders such as
shared/timo.sirainen/mailbox. The directory names themselves will still
contain '.' separator to stay compatible with Courier's Maildir++
format. So even though new IMAP separator will be '/', '.' still can't
be used in mailbox names.