Subject: dovecot bug case
From: Bruce Murphy <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 13:01:39 +0800

Found a bug in the dovecot header handling that seems to have an
unacceptable failure case -> the imap process sits there spinning in the
header parsing code and needs to be externally killed.

The precise trigger is a line read by the header parsing code that is
longer than 8196 characters and isn't the last non-blank line in the file. 
This can happened in headers, but more worryingly, it can also happen in
MIME parts of type message/rfc822. This particular problem tripped up
when a webmail system HTMLised a mail attachment and replaced the blank
lines between header and body with <DIV>s.

I attach a trivial case using the MIME parts that will trigger the bug,
thus demonstrating that it's a line-length in parser problem rather than
anything more involving fragments of HTML.

B>
-- 
Packrat - Bruce Murphy (UCS projects)
Nihil illegitemi carborvndvm