Moving Maildir folders

Mark Foley mfoley at ohprs.org
Sun Jul 17 00:36:38 UTC 2016

Not quite there yet. The folders show up, but I cannot see the mail inside the folders unless
(in the Thunderbird client) I uncheck the setting "Show only subscribed folders". Still, the
top-level folder is shown as grayed-out/italics as well as the the sub-folder INBOX. All other
sub-folder at the same level as INBOX are not grayed-out, nor are folders subordinate to INBOX:

user at mydom.org <-- topmost "real" account folder
  +Inbox
  Drafts
  Templates
  send Items
  Junk E-mail
  Deleted Items
  +bpatterson   <-- added Maildir folders from former user, grayed-out, italics
    +INBOX      <-- grayed out, italic
      Payabled  <-- not grayed
      Health Care  <-- not grayed
      :
      :
    Sent           <-- not grayed
    Sent Items     <-- not grayed
    Templates      <-- not grayed
    Trash          <-- not grayed

Mozilla has a reference to this phenomenon http://kb.mozillazine.org/Grey_italic_folders, but
this seems to have to do with GMAIL accounts. Mine is a local IMAP server and the link has no
apparent remedy.

Furthermore, if I attempt to delete e.g. "Trash" I get an error, presumably from Dovecot: "The
current command did not succeed. The mail server for account user at mydom.org responded:
[ALREADYEXISTS] Target mailbox already exists." Seem like an odd error when trying to delete.

My theory is that if I can designated these folders as 'subcribed' everything would work
normally. I don't know if that's true. I've tried added these folders to the 'subscriptions'
file in the user's Maildir folder, an excerpt of which:

INBOX.Directed Brokerage
INBOX.Directed Brokerage.Abel Noser
INBOX.Investments-Active.Kayne
INBOX.Pending - Open Projects
Deleted Items.Oath
INBOX.Board Info.New Trustee-Oath of Office
INBOX.Rule Filing-Rule Changes
bpatterson.INBOX.2011 Investment Confirmation Responses
bpatterson.INBOX.2011 and 2012 KCR Audit
bpatterson.INBOX.2012 Investment Confirmation Responses
bpatterson.INBOX.2013 Health Care Changes - Information
bpatterson.INBOX.2013 Investment Confirmation Responses

where the 1st 7 listed are part of the user's existing list and the next ones are what I added
for the former user's mail folders. This did not work.

Ideas?

--Mark