quota-status service

Vijay Rajah me at rvijay.me
Sun Jul 3 16:18:28 UTC 2016

Michael,

See my responses inline

On 07/02/2016 06:25 AM, Michael Fox wrote:
> ???

This is how I have configured it.

> But I can't find any information on quota-status.
>
> "man quota-status" returns nothing.
>
> I am unable to find a "quota-status" file on my machine.  Where is the
> executable located?
>
> What does the "-p postfix" option do?
>
> Are there any other command line options?
>
> The above wiki page shows three quota_status_* options in use:
>
>      quota_status_success = DUNNO
>      quota_status_nouser = DUNNO
>      quota_status_overquota = "552 5.2.2 Mailbox is full"

The way I understand it is, this Quota service was built specifically
for postfix. (I only have postfix, have not used any other MTA)
The "quota-status" executable is in you libexec directory. ( I compiled
my dovecot instance, hence is is not in "regular" directory)
The "quota_status_*" are responses to postifx. AFAIK, these are the only
3 possible options.

Please see (
https://sys4.de/en/blog/2013/04/08/postfix-dovecot-mailbox-quota/ ) for
a detailed info on this

When Postfix MTA is "inline" with the sender, and if you have correctly
configured the quota service, it will check if the recipient's mailbox
can accept mails. If the recipient is able to accept mail dovecot
responds with "DUNNO" (as configured in "quota_status_success" ) to let
postifx continue with its sender checks. if the recipient's mail box is
unable to accept mails, the dovecot responds with "552 5.2.2 Mailbox is
full" (as configured in "quota_status_overquota"), this will prevent
postfix from accepting mail and will respond with 552 status .  All this
is documented in that blog.

Please also see: http://www.postfix.org/SMTPD_ACCESS_README.html

> Where are their meanings documented?
>
> What are the allowed values?