Outlook Express and STARTTLS

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Nov 21 21:04:09 UTC 2014

Am 21.11.2014 um 21:51 schrieb Robert Moskowitz:
> On 11/21/2014 03:38 PM, Gedalya wrote:

>>> I missed 465; got the rest.  Will have to look THAT one up. Thanks
>>> for the tip, Harald.
>> That's just implicit TLS for SMTP submission, instead of 587. OE needs
>> that.
>>
> Which is way IETF has made a major pushback against every transport
> wanting a second port number for TLS.  There just are not enough port
> numbers for this purpose

well, if we could tun back time 15 years ago many things would be
different - IMHO the decision to deprecate 465 in favour to STARTTLS is
plain wrong - it is much easier for a MITM to strip out the STARTTLS in
the still unencrypted connection (given a client falls back to
unencrypted in that cse) before the TLS handshake ever happens