spam folder and POP users

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Fri Nov 21 14:51:30 UTC 2014

On 11/21/2014 05:40 AM, Peter Chiochetti wrote:
> Am 2014-11-21 um 02:21 schrieb Robert Moskowitz:
>> On 11/20/2014 07:55 PM, Joseph Tam wrote:
>>>
>>> Seems sort of klunky though.  In my opinion, your energy is better
>>> invested in converting your POP3 holdouts to IMAP.
>>
>> Agreed.  I am looking at what it takes to do this with Thunderbird, as I
>> am the biggest holdout!  The recommended way is HARD.  I have 20 years
>> and gigabytes of emails in local pop folders that I do not want to loose
>> or have replicated on the server.  Somewhere is the magic goo for this.
>> Once I figure it out for myself, it will be easy for the other users.
>
> It might not be that hard with Thunderbird. You have though to
> recreate all accounts as IMAP ones, which leaves the POP ones alone.
> This is most of the work.
>
> Then, in the Profiles/...../Mail folder in the local filesystem move
> all POP folders below the "Local Folders" there. Then delete the POP
> accounts.

I got a response on Mozilla for help on this.  Better understand
'local', 'pop user' and 'imap user' folders.  After some thought, there
is no reason to actually move all those folders from the pop user
directory to the local directory structure.  I can just disable the
account.  The challenge will be creating the filters.  They did give me
instructions on how to move the filters, and I expect if I did that,
they will still point to the folders over in the old account directory
structure!

> Likely you can even point the "archive" Folder in IMAP account
> settings to this new path, tick keep structure and from now on, move
> mails from IMAP to local with a single tap on the "a" key.
>
> I did this years ago, so take advise with caution.

I looked at this back when I launched my courier-mail server 4 years
ago, but did not figure it out then.  Plus squirelmail was not all that
great compared to roundcubemail.  Much better off now with the server,
just need to get a 'few' nits working right.  amavis-new is not properly
handling the virtual domains defined by postfixadmin; I have asked for
help on this in both groups, as I have tried all the examples I have
found googling and none of them are working.  Then I have the DNS DMARC
to tackle so that google mail will be happy.  Not much left.  And
getting more detailed logwatch reports.  I think over all, I am doing OK
with this move.