spam folder and POP users

Gedalya gedalya at gedalya.net
Thu Nov 20 22:37:02 UTC 2014

> I am new to actually running dovecot.  I actually still use POP as I
> have for YEARS and thunderbird does not make it easy to convert to
> IMAP...
>

> My server is moving all tagged spam into the IMAP spam folder. Very
> nice for the IMAP users, but not for the POP users.  Of course the
> server don't know, and the mysql database for users does not have any
> flags for this.  Don't want my server to fill up with spam from POP
> users that don't know to check via IMAP.
>
> I am using roundcubemail for the webmail IMAP client.  Is there any
> way for POP users to indicate that they do not want spam so nicely
> auto moved to the IMAP spam folder?

How do you even define a "pop user" - it's not an easy thing to
determine. Someone who hasn't logged in via IMAP in x days? Perhaps
implement a lastlogin_imap field?
You really should just have a flag in your database.
Otherwise, just purge from the spam folder messages older than X days
(preferably after notifying the users, of course).
Another (rather annoying) feature some people have is to have a "spam
report" delivered to Inbox daily, listing messages delivered to Spam in
the past 24 hours, you can script that around doveadm fetch.