stop deletion of mails

Mauricio Tavares raubvogel at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 10:53:44 UTC 2014

On Nov 17, 2014 5:48 AM, "Timo Sirainen" <tss at iki.fi> wrote:

> On 17 Nov 2014, at 02:44, Edwardo Garcia <wdgarc88 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Is possible with dovecot?
> >
> > Legal department have told us we need to stop anyone from delete email
> > on corporate mail server, so nobody, even managers can not anymore
> > delete any mail?
>
> Implement email archiving. Allow the users to delete emails that are
visible to themselves, but have another place where all the emails always
exist and they can be accessed by people who need to have access to them.
There are various different ways to do this. The easiest way is to have
your MTA just Bcc them to some specific mailbox.

We do that using a sieve script. This way it is transparent to user. Since
all of our email is owned by the user "virtual" in the mail server (email
users do not have accounts in mail server), that works rather nicely.