Dovecot wiki LMTP description

Fernando Maule fernando.maule at c3k.it
Fri Nov 14 14:31:00 UTC 2014

Hello Ron,

On 14/11/2014 15:15, Ron Leach wrote:

> Does this example mean that LMTP will only listen for input messages
> from the interface with IP address 192.168.0.24 (plus localhost)?  If
> so, I probably haven't understood how LMTP is intended to work.  Is
> there a reason why we want to limit LMTP to listening for messages
> from a specific IP on the network?  I need to understand that so that
> I replace ...24 with a suitable host interface that exists on our LAN
> (we don't have a host at 192.168.0.24).

No, it *listens* on that addresses (port 24)
LMTP is intended for local mail transfer.
The best way to use it, if dovecot LDA and MTA are on the same machine,
is to use a unix socket like this (example for postfix):

service lmtp {
   unix_listener /var/spool/postfix/private/dovecot-lmtp {
         group = postfix
         mode = 0600
         user = postfix
  }

if you prefer to use an inet listener, do it only for the needed
addresses (not public / internet faced ones) or reject unauthorized
networks.

-FM