building latest stable for ubuntu 14.04

Spyros Tsiolis spyros.tsiolis at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 7 09:10:09 UTC 2014

> Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2014 11:08:06 +0700
> From: dovecot-list at mohtex.net
> To: ecasarero at gmail.com; dovecot at dovecot.org
> Subject: Re: building latest stable for ubuntu 14.04
>
> Eduardo Casarero wrote on 07.11.2014 05:48:
>> Hi list, Does anybody have some notes/blog post/etc about building dovecot
>> deb packages?
>
> If this is ment to be used on your box you can easily accomplish this by
> using "checkinstall". Take a look at
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CheckInstall and
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/en/trusty/checkinstall for more information.

In regards to this post. This is something that has been troubling me for
a looong time.

List / Timo , have you checked this out ? :

https://nixos.org/nix/

They claim that is portable between distros and doesn't touch each distros'
package manager and can also roll-back versions.

I've been struggling with CentOS 7 and Ubuntu versions for the last
eight years and it seems really tempting.

At the moment, I don't have the time or stamina to pursue this.
Some feedback on this would be really, really nice :-)

Regards,

spyros