LMTP during dsync migration

Michael Grimm trashcan at odo.in-berlin.de
Thu Jul 31 11:34:54 UTC 2014

[sent to early, sorry]

On 2014-07-31 12:05, Jogi Hofmüller wrote:
> Am 2014-07-30 17:36, schrieb Reindl Harald:

> why do you need dsync at all for such a migration?
>
> Migrating from cyrus to dovecot in a transparent manner.

And additionaly, if one wants to switch mailbox formats whilst
migration. Dsync is great in that scenario.

I did so, migrating from a dovecot 1.2.x to 2.x server in the past.
Not many users, not many mail involved. Technically I did what has
been proposed already: Running an initial dsync run, running periodic
differential sync until final switch. During switch I had had to shut
down dovecot for a short time.

In the meantime I use something like to block users during maintainance:

# temporary blocks
passdb {
   driver = passwd-file
   deny = yes
   args = /path/to/deny-users
}

# regular
passwd {
   driver = sql
   args = /path/to/dovecot-sql.conf
}

/path/to/deny-users holds username to block.

But, I have to admit: that doesn't work for all of my users, I never
found out why. Thst's why I finally decided for a hard shotdown of
dovecot for the final switch.

Regards and good luck,
Michael