LMTP during dsync migration

Jiri Bourek bourek at thinline.cz
Thu Jul 31 10:33:28 UTC 2014

On 31.7.2014 12:05, Jogi Hofmüller wrote:
> Hi Harald, all,
>
> Am 2014-07-30 17:36, schrieb Reindl Harald:
>
>> normally you announce a mainantaince window for such migrations
>
> That's what we do.
>
>> why do you need dsync at all for such a migration?
>
> Migrating from cyrus to dovecot in a transparent manner.
>
> Cheers,

As far as I know you can do the warm - cold with dsync too. First you do
backup on live (i.e. accessible for both imap and delivery) mailbox.
This takes a long time on big mailbox, but that should not be an issue
since the mailbox can be used normally.

When it's done, you disable the mailbox (again, both imap and delivery)
and repeat the backup, which should be relatively fast now. When that's
done, enable mailbox on new storage and you're done.

I don't think it's possible to have the mailbox available all the time
during migration. Well, it's possible, but it seems like recipe for trouble.