identify MUA connecting?

Pascal Volk user+dovecot at localhost.localdomain.org
Mon Jul 28 18:38:28 UTC 2014

On 07/28/2014 05:58 PM, Juan Pablo wrote:
> Hello I am using dovecot 1.2.15 on ubuntu.

UPGRADE! Dovecot < 2.x is no longer supported.

> Is it possible to somehow log the MUA information that is connecting to
> Dovecot?

In the Dovecot v2.0 tree there was the following commit:

	changeset:   9123:edcafb3efbbf
	branch:      HEAD
	user:        Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi>
	date:        Thu Apr 16 19:14:23 2009 -0400
	summary:     Added imap_idle_notify_interval setting.

Some time later in the v2.1 tree there was fix:

	changeset:   14197:32ffa616f249
	user:        Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi>
	date:        Sat Feb 25 07:29:15 2012 +0200
	summary:     imap-login: imap_id_* settings were ignored pre-login.

So, if you would use Dovecot v2.1.x you would be able to log some
information about the connected client. BUT not all mail clients are
supporting RFC2971 [http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2971].

The settings for this feature are configured in conf.d/20-imap.conf:

	* imap_id_log
	* imap_id_send

> The reason I am wanting to do this is I would like to know if people are
> getting their email on personal devices instead of work secured /
> standardized phones.

That depends on the used software, see above

Regards,
Pascal
The trapper recommends today: beeffeed.1420920 at localdomain.org