Multiple servers and NFS

Eduardo Ramos eduardo at freedominterface.org
Thu Jul 24 12:01:33 UTC 2014

Hi Richard,

You can use one or more instances of Dovecot on the same machine, as you
can see here (http://wiki2.dovecot.org/RunningDovecot) "Running Multiple
Invocations of Dovecot".

The problem with DNS round-robind is that if you server goes down, DNS
continues resolving for it. I would recommend use some balancer like
LVS+keepalived.

Consider that multi layer solution:
--------------------            --------------------
| LVS + keepalived |            | LVS + keepalived |
--------------------            --------------------
          |                                |
   --------------                   --------------
   | Director 1 |                   | Director 2 |
   --------------                   --------------
          |                                |
  -----------------               -----------------
  | IMAP/POP/LMTP |               | IMAP/POP/LMTP |
  |    Backend    |               |    Backend    |

Remember, directors and backends could run on the same machine. I have a
lab running that way. Maybe I can help you deploy.