Multiple passwords with sql authentication

Cédric Jeanneret dovecot at tengu.ch
Thu Jul 24 05:36:16 UTC 2014

On 07/23/2014 11:53 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
> On 2014-07-23 21:23, Rick Romero wrote:
>>  Quoting BlackVoid <blackvoid+dovecot at fantas.in>:

>> risking
>>>>

>> [1]http://wiki2.dovecot.org/AuthDatabase/SQL#Password_verification_by_SQL_server

>> the

>> Google

>> the

>> the

>>> Yes, I know that. The passwords are hashed in SHA-512-CRYPT. As I've
>>> explained in previous mails, the issue is that only one result can be
>>> returned, so either I expose the password in the query, the password is
>>> hashed n-times (number of passwords the user has) and it gets logged
>>> (security risk) or I have to give up my idea to implement
>>> application-specific passwords and keep having only one password. You
>>> can't hash the password and use it in the query either, because the
>>> password needs to be hashed  with the correct salt. So from what I
>>> cansee there is no good solution to this unless I'm missing something.
>>
>> I'm assuming you have a field for each application password.  I don't use
>> a custom salt.
>>
>> So your table is like:
>> CREATE TABLE users (     userid VARCHAR(128) NOT NULL,     domain
>> VARCHAR(128) NOT NULL,     password_imap VARCHAR(64) NOT NULL,
>> password_pop VARCHAR(64) NOT NULL,     password_web VARCHAR(64) NOT NULL,
>>   password VARCHAR(64) NOT NULL,     home VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL,     uid
>> INTEGER NOT NULL,     gid INTEGER NOT NULL );
>> in order to return password_web, when the user is using the webmail system,
>> I would use:
>>
>> SELECT
>>               if ( '%r' = '127.0.0.1' AND password_web != " ",
>> password_web,
>>                  if ( '%s' = 'imap' AND password_imap != "
>> ", password_imap,
>>                     if (password_pop != "",
>> password_pop, password) ) )
>>     from users where userid = %u
>>
>> So if the remote system is 'localhost', and password_web exists, return
>> password_web.
>>   If not, then if the remote system is using imap, and password_imap
>> exists return password_imap.
>>    If not imap, then return password_pop if password_pop exists,
>> otherwise return password.
>>
>> And so on and so forth...  I plan on doing the same, just haven't gotten
>> to it.
>>
>> I guess I don't see what the problem would be...  am I oversimplifying it
>> somehow?  This has been in the back of my head for a while, and even
>> starting to put it on paper it looks fine for any purpose, even outside of
>> Dovecot.   Obviously it'll be a complex query.  Just write it out
>> logically first. If you're allowing only particular applications, you'll
>> have to make sure whatever doesn't have a password falls through to
>> 'password'..   Or, maybe have your 'app password' creation code just
>> ensure any apps without specific passwords have a copy of the 'password'
>> field...  Or maybe have a boolean field to check if app specific passwords
> [...]

Hello,

maybe a stupid question, but why log queries? Just drop that log.

Also, if I understand correctly Dovecot working scheme, it should hash
the password in the query directly if you remove the PLAIN mechanism…

Another solution (and probably the best): Dovecot should provide another
variable than %w, like %W which will be the hashed password according to
the password schema defined in the configuration…

Your idea is really interesting by the way. Was thinking about it for
some times now, never had the time to really try something…

C.