ulimit warning when restarting

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Jul 17 23:05:33 UTC 2014

Am 18.07.2014 00:58, schrieb Will Yardley:
> When restarting Dovecot 2.2.10 (via atrpms) on RHEL 6, I get the error:
> Warning: fd limit (ulimit -n) is lower than required under max. load (1024 < 4096), because of default_client_limit
>
> # doveconf default_internal_user
> default_internal_user = dovecot
>
> Should dovecot print this warning based on $default_internal_user, or
> based on root?
>
> As root:
> # ulimit -n
> 1024
>
> As user dovecot:
> $ ulimit -n
> 49152
> $ whoami
> dovecot
>
> # grep dovecot /etc/security/limits.conf
> dovecot hard locks     49152
> dovecot hard nofile    49152
> dovecot hard maxlogins 8192
> dovecot soft locks     49152
> dovecot soft nofile    49152
> dovecot soft maxlogins 8192

that all is not applied to services started by init scripts
you need the ulimit command inside a from the init script
*sourced* file or use something like systemd with native
settings

http://superuser.com/questions/454465/make-ulimits-work-with-start-stop-daemon

http://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.exec.html
LimitCPU=, LimitFSIZE=, LimitDATA=, LimitSTACK=, LimitCORE=, LimitRSS=, LimitNOFILE=, LimitAS=, LimitNPROC=,
LimitMEMLOCK=, LimitLOCKS=, LimitSIGPENDING=, LimitMSGQUEUE=, LimitNICE=, LimitRTPRIO=, LimitRTTIME=

These settings control various resource limits for executed processes. See setrlimit(2) for details. Use the string
infinity to configure no limit on a specific resource.