Dovecot/K9/Thunderbird IMAP interaction issues: replicated messages, constant reloading (TB) & missing new messages (K-9)

Alex JOST jost+lists at dimejo.at
Thu Jul 17 22:32:55 UTC 2014

Am 2014-07-15 14:08, schrieb David Gessel:
> Good catch, thank you. (I used LAYOUT=fs at first, but found behavior a
> little anomalous.  I forgot to disable the workarounds).
>
> This may have stopped the problem of redownloading the entire mailbox
> (on restart I got  downloading 1 of 8 instead of 1 of 170... 30 of 1330
> in the status pane) .  My other mailboxes still need to sync and it
> might take a few days to verify that things are stable.  I did get 81
> immediate "Warning: Maildir /mail/mydomain.com/gessel//.Bulkmail:
> Expunged message reappeared, giving a new UID" warnings on connect, but
> if this is the problem, it might stop after all the directories are
> resynced.
>
> I'll update with further data as it comes in.
>
> I am also somewhat suspect of QRSYNC from this post:
> http://dovecot.org/pipermail/dovecot/2011-August/130687.html  - though
> this is from a long time ago and it seems a little surprising that bugs
> on this seemingly useful capability would persist.  In any event (if
> useful information), my capability enumeration reads:
>
> # telnet localhost 143
>
> * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE
> IDLE STARTTLS AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=LOGIN] Dovecot ready.
> a login user pass
> a OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE
> IDLE SORT SORT=DISPLAY THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=REFS
> THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT MULTIAPPEND URL-PARTIAL CATENATE UNSELECT CHILDREN
> NAMESPACE UIDPLUS LIST-EXTENDED I18NLEVEL=1 CONDSTORE QRESYNC ESEARCH
> ESORT SEARCHRES WITHIN CONTEXT=SEARCH LIST-STATUS SPECIAL-USE BINARY
> MOVE COMPRESS=DEFLATE QUOTA] Logged in
>

> I did try setting mail.server.default.use_condstore;false in
> Thunderbird, but that didn't change the behavior of reloading the entire
> inbox on startup so I've changed that back as that wasn't the desired
> result.

There are too many possible reasons for your problem. You should really
start to locate the source of your problem by eliminating 1 possibility
after the other instead of tweaking some (hidden) settings in Thunderbird.

* Find the Message-ID of one of your duplicates and grep for it on the
server
* Use a local client (like Mutt or Roundcube) on the server to access
the mailbox
* Use a different client than Thunderbird on your PC

--
Alex JOST