Postfix user at domain splitting

Steffen skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-brs.de
Thu Jul 17 20:36:40 UTC 2014

Ricardo Branco wrote:
> Latest config
>
> http://pastebin.com/XKNn6W24
>
> Ricardo Branco wrote, On 16/07/2014 14:56:
>> Shows that auth is not honouring the %n i have. Does the
>> username_format need to be only in the userdb section or also the
>> passdb part?
>>
>> http://pastie.org/9396504
>>
>> Ricardo Branco wrote, On 15/07/2014 18:23:
>>> That was done for testing to see if it made any difference when
>>> I moved to LDA, in LDA mode it seems to not care if that is %n
>>> or %u, it always takes the first part of the email address
>>> which is weird. Ive just tested again to confirm on %n and its
>>> not working so ive reverted again back to LDA which does. Seems
>>> to not matter how that variable is set it does not do
>>> anything.
>>>
>>> When using %n ive tried to see if I can login via IMAP with the
>>> whole username but again no, this is the error, note the
>>> difference between the 'user' field on each line.
>>>
>>> Jul 15 18:22:17 imap-login: Info: Login:
>>> user=<mark.whittaker>, method=PLAIN, rip=10.0.0.180,
>>> lip=10.100.0.198, mpid=9493, session=<VVE8pj7+9wAKAAC0> Jul 15
>>> 18:22:20 imap-login: Info: Disconnected: Shutting down (auth
>>> failed, 4 attempts in 37 secs):
>>> user=<mark.whittaker at Wenn.com>, method=PLAIN, rip=10.0.0.3,
>>> lip=10.100.0.198, TLS, session=<Vjs9pD7+IgAKAAAD>

Hi Ricardo,

I seem to miss something: You are talking about LMTP and LDA, then
present a log of an IMAP login attempt. Neither LDA not LMTP should
need any authentification, where should the password come from? And
yes, for auth you will need %n in passdb, too. username_format is not
documented for passdb { driver = pam}, but you could try.

Could you post a log of a LMTP delivery, when %n is in effect _and_
you are sure have reloaded Dovecot?

>>> Steffen Kaiser wrote, On 15/07/2014 13:18:

> userdb { args = username_format=%u /etc/passwd driver =
> passwd-file name = passwd-file }
>
> In opposite to your sentence I see a %u there.

> -- Steffen Kaiser

- --

Steffen Kaiser

H Bonn-Rhein-Sieg         | e-mail: Steffen.Kaiser at H-BRS.DE
FB Informatik             |
Grantham-Allee 20         | phone : +49 2241/865-203
53757 Sankt Augustin      |
Germany - Deutschland     | fax   : +49 2241/865-8203

- --
Steffen