Differences in "Delivered-To" header between deliver and LMTP

Tobias Franzén lists.zxinn at otaking.se
Wed Jul 16 18:41:04 UTC 2014

On 2014-07-11 11:23, Charles Marcus wrote:
> On 7/10/2014 11:29 AM, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
>> On 9.7.2014, at 21.20, Jeff Rice <jeff at jrice.me> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm transitioning my server over from using the deliver LDA and
>>> LMTP.  Suddenly a bunch of sieve filters stopped working, and I
>>> noticed the contents of the Delivered-To header are different.
>>>
>>> Using Dovecot's deliver LDA, the contents are a bare email address
>>> (foo at bar.com).  Using Dovecot LMTP, they are in brackets
>>> (<foo at bar.com>).  Is there a reason why this isn't consistent
>>> between the two delivery agents?  It seems like it ought to be.
>> Oh, that's annoying. Dovecot LDA doesn't actually add this header, it
>> was your MTA that added it. But looks like I hadn't checked what the
>> MTAs actually write to the header when I added this feature to LMTP,
>> and nobody had mentioned this before either. I wonder if anybody's
>> system breaks if I just change it now..
>
> If you do this Timo, would you please also consider going ahead and
> adding the 20 or so lines of code you said it would take to also add
> support for the x-original-to header (this specific was in a private
> email to me while our support contract was active), as we discussed on
> this list - and you then discussed with Wietse, back in April or so of
> 2012:
>
> http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2012-April/082585.html
>
> Thanks!
>
> Charles

I am also very interested in the outcome of these discussions for
X-Original-To header together with LMTP.

My setup will be migrating from an old Courier-IMAP install with Postfix
VDA and plan to keep using Postfix but this time with Dovecot and
potentially Dovecot LMTP. My users have multiple aliases and rely on the
X-Original-To header for filters, however they mostly reside within the
same domain handled by the same mail server.

Old threads in this and Postfix mail lists indicate that Timo thinks
LMTP cannot solve this.
Some of this could possibly be solved for local implementations if LMTP
can expand aliases itself for local delivery. Is this possible?
In general it seems that LMTP has to rely on previous layers to keep the
original recipient in for example X-Original-To header.

For reference:
http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/postfix/2012-04/0179.html
http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2012-April/082585.html
http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2014-January/094396.html

Charles, you seem to also have been involved in the following Postfix
list thread from 2011. Are you using this Postfix workaround detailed at
the end to add X-Original-To?
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mailing.postfix.users/ceRuhB8NFWQ

Postfix/main.cf:
# to make sure Delivered-To header contains only one address
lmtp_destination_recipient_limit=1
# for X-Original-To header
     smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
         check_recipient_access pcre:/etc/postfix/recipient_access.pcre

/etc/postfix/recipient_access.pcre
     /(.+)/        prepend X-Original-To: $1

Dovecot:
lda_original_recipient_header = X-Original-To

/Tobias