Dovecot ignores existing mailboxes and creates its own

Martin Vegter martin.vegter at aol.com
Tue Jul 8 11:52:26 UTC 2014

Hello,

I have Postfix with Maildir format. User's emails are being delivered into

    $HOME/mail/inbox

Apart from ~/mail/inbox, there are the usual folders:

    $HOME/mail/archive
    $HOME/mail/drafts
    $HOME/mail/inbox
    $HOME/mail/trash

Now I have installed dovecot, and set

    mail_location = maildir:~/mail:LAYOUT=fs

additionally, I have defined mailboxes as follows:

    namespace inbox {
      mailbox drafts {
        special_use = \Drafts
      }
      mailbox sent {
        special_use = \Sent
      }
      mailbox trash {
        special_use = \Trash
      }
    }

The problem I am having is following:

1) dovecot ignores the folders (drafts, sent, trash) and creates its own
folders begining with capiotal letter:

    Drafts
    Sent
    Trash

2) dovecot ignores ~/mail/inbox and instead creates

    ~/mail/cur
    ~/mail/new
    ~/mail/tmp

can somebody please advise how to tell dovecot, to use my existing
folder structure, ie:

    ~/mail/inbox/{cur,new,tmp}
    ~/mail/drafts/{cur,new,tmp}
    ~/mail/sent/{cur,new,tmp}