Mailboxes are in Maildir format. Any good backup tips? Had success with version control?

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Jul 1 15:11:49 UTC 2014

On Tuesday 01 July 2014 09:55:37 Leonardo Rodrigues did opine
And Gene did reply:
> Em 01/07/14 10:06, Eliezer Croitoru escreveu:
> > On 07/01/2014 03:06 PM, Jiri Bourek wrote:
> >> That really depends, rebuilding indexes can increase your downtime
> >> for hours, so it may be better to pay a bit for extra storage space
> >> instead of not being paid at all by your customers.
> >
> > Building the index as far as I remember doesn't cost in downtime but
> > in higher I/O usage which slows down the server.
>
>      That's my knowledge as well. Rebuilt of indexes are done
> on-the-fly when the account is accessed and, thus, there's no downtime
> involved on that.
>
>      Of course, with lots of big accounts and lots of initial accesses
> on the scenario where ALL accounts were restored without indexes, the
> I/O increase can be so high that the server will be basically
> unresponsive. That can happen for sure.
>
>      But on the more common case, which will be restoring just a few
> accounts, that I/O increase will probably be unnoticable.

And I just got a reply from the amanda list, it IS possible to construct a
"dumptype" to do that via callable scripts, see:

<http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Script_API>

No clue if bacula or the others are that well equipt.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)