[Dovecot] Architecture for large Dovecot cluster (employ an expert!)

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Thu Jan 23 18:57:22 EET 2014

Hi

>> and some other Dovecot mailing list threads but I am not sure how many
>> users such a setup will handle.  I have a concern about the I/O
>> performance of NFS in the suggested architecture above.  One possible
>> option available to us is to split up the mailboxes over multiple
>> clusters with subsets of domains.  Is there anyone out there currently
>> running this many users on a Dovecot based mail cluster?  Some
>> suggestions or advice on the best way to go would be greatly appreciated.
> look about list archive for equal setups , ask Timo or other people for
> paid support, wait for people reporting their big setups

It's difficult for me (on the outside) to gauge how many people do pay
Timo, et al for services.  However, just to put a stake in the ground, I
have "employed" Timo on a couple of occasions, just for small projects,
but in my case to add new features or fix bugs which are specific to my
requirements.  I will very positively recommend this, I found Timo
extremely helpful and although I only paid an affordable amount to have
a feature added, he has kindly continued to maintain these features as
part of the core software (for which I am extremely grateful)

I'm very satisfied and have to highly recommend Timo.  His prices were
extremely reasonable and he offered service excellent.

This is obviously a glowing endorsement, take that as you wish. However,
I suspect that sometimes we are all guilty of forgetting that there are
humans on the far side of these projects and for relatively affordable
sums we can employ them to both help us out (and possibly benefit all
users of the software).  I don't have big pockets, but I have
successfully asked for enhancements to several open source projects
(dovecot/dnsmasq/shorewall/squid and some others) and the whole
experience has worked very well for me.

Please feel encouraged to employ Timo if you use Dovecot!

Good luck

Ed W