[Dovecot] Dovecot doesn't seem to report all subfolders to Thunderbird

Robert Schetterer rs at sys4.de
Sat Jan 18 16:54:52 EET 2014

Am 18.01.2014 15:12, schrieb dovecot at voidptr.de:
> Hi,
>
> I've recently migrated my emails from a Yahoo account to my own
> mailserver on a VPS.
>
> Ever since then, Thunderbird seems to have issues with the mailbox's
> directory structure: When I start Thunderbird, it immediately deletes
> the local copies of all 3rd-level folders (i.e. subfolders of a
> subfolder of a folder in the mailbox root).
> Since that didn't happen with the Yahoo account, I assume it's some kind
> of error or misconfiguration of Dovecot.
>
> Here's an example of the mailbox structure:
> voidptr.de
> '-> University
>     '-> IEEE
>         '-> Conference
> "University" and "IEEE" work without problems, but "Conference" gets
> deleted locally every time I start Thunderbird. When I collapse and
> re-expand "University" in the folder panel, all subfolders (including
> "Conference") reappear, but Thunderbird has to re-download the contents
> of "Conference", since it deleted the local copies earlier.
>
> It looks as if Dovecot only reported the topmost two folder levels when
> Thunderbird requests a folder list...
>
> Is there any way I can change that behavior?
>
> Nils
>

> $ doveconf -n
> # 2.1.7: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
> # OS: Linux 2.6.32-042stab078.22 x86_64 Debian 7.3
> auth_verbose = yes
> mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir:LAYOUT=fs

why LAYOUT=fs ?, try without

http://wiki2.dovecot.org/MailboxFormat/Maildir

Directory Structure

By default Dovecot uses Maildir++ directory layout for organizing
mailbox directories. This means that all the folders are directly inside
~/Maildir directory:

    ~/Maildir/new, ~/Maildir/cur and ~/Maildir/tmp directories contain
the messages for INBOX. The tmp directory is used during delivery, new
messages arrive in new and read shall be moved to cur by the clients.

    ~/Maildir/.folder/ is a mailbox folder

    ~/Maildir/.folder.subfolder/ is a subfolder of a folder (ie.
"folder/subfolder")

You can also optionally use the "fs" layout by appending :LAYOUT=fs to
mail_location. This makes the folder structure look like:

    ~/Maildir/new, ~/Maildir/cur and ~/Maildir/tmp directories contain
the messages for INBOX, just like with Maildir++.

    ~/Maildir/folder/ is a mailbox folder

    ~/Maildir/folder/subfolder/ is a subfolder of a folder

or use

http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Clients?highlight=%28thunderbird%29

Thunderbird

    If you're using mbox, dbox or Maildir with :LAYOUT=fs ,

        You should enable tb-extra-mailbox-sep workaround for IMAP.

Best Regards
MfG Robert Schetterer

--
[*] sys4 AG