[Dovecot] Disallow certain characters in foldernames?

Robert Schetterer rs at sys4.de
Wed Jan 8 21:37:32 EET 2014

Am 08.01.2014 19:35, schrieb Charles Marcus:

>>> that.

>> what about, let the user create such folders
>>
>> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Plugins/Listescape
>
> Thanks Robert - I did see that and considered asking about it...
>
> So, would this be as easy as just adding:
>
> mail_plugins = $mail_plugins listescape
>
> namespace private {
>   separator = $
>   inbox = yes
> }

as written in the wiki this should work
my setup is different so i did not test that, i only needed Allow '.'
characters with Maildir++, cause i wanted to autocreate  folders with
sieve for mail adresses like man.human at example.com in an archive setup

http://sys4.de/de/blog/2013/02/07/mailarchiv-mit-dovecot-und-postfix-sortiert-nach-datum-mailadressen-und-ein-ausgehend-unterordnern/

> Or whatever I want to use for the separator (I was thinking maybe either
> the tilde (~) or the backtick (`), since I don't think anyone would ever
> use one of those...
>
> Also - if someone *did* use whatever character was specified - what
> would happen? The same thing as happens now if they use a '.' or '/'?

i dont know exactly, but usally as written in the wiki the only ones you
should need to take care of are

'.' and '/' are very commonly used and should work everywhere
'\' is used by Exchange, and should also work everywhere (when
specifying this in the separator= setting it must be quoted, so one sets
separator = "\\")
'^' is used internally by Thunderbird and causes some trouble with it

> Thanks again
>
> Charles

be aware in some version stages of 2.1.x the plugin was broken, dont no
its status in 2.2.x , it works with 2.1.17 in my latest tests

Best Regards
MfG Robert Schetterer

--
[*] sys4 AG