[Dovecot] acl, shared folders

Steffen Kaiser skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-brs.de
Tue Jan 7 09:19:32 EET 2014

On Mon, 6 Jan 2014, Infoomatic wrote:

> After spending quite some time to figure out how users can share folders I now hope someone of you could help me out. I am quite sure its just a stupid mistake/misunderstanding ... I am using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS with the shipped dovecot 2.0.19

I'm using v2.2, but it should apply to v2.0 as well.

> This seems fine.

ACLs look fine.

> However, there is nothing listed in the account of user2. I think the
> mistake is in the namespace configuration of "location" or "prefix"
>
> mail_home = /var/lib/vmail/home/%u
> mail_location = mdbox:/var/lib/vmail/mail/%u

> namespace {
>   inbox = yes
>   location =
>   prefix =
>   separator = /
>   type = private
> }
> namespace {
>   list = children
>   location = mdbox:/var/lib/vmail/mail/%%n/mailboxes/shared/%n
>   prefix = shared/%%n/
>   separator = /
>   subscriptions = no
>   type = shared
> }

First note, that you use %u in the default location, but %n in the shared
namespace definition. IMHO, you must stick to one, as only one is correct
in your setup.

Second, reread http://wiki2.dovecot.org/SharedMailboxes/Shared
Say user1 is sharing to user2, then your second namespace tells Dovecot to
look for user1's mailboxes in
/var/lib/vmail/mail/user1/mailboxes/shared/user2, you most likely need to
replicate the default mail_location there with %'s doubled. Then you must
decide, where each user's INDEX and CONTROL information is stored, or if
flags are shared as well.

- From your current definition I would say, you need:

location = mdbox:/var/lib/vmail/mail/%%u:INDEX=~/shared/%%u

First part points to the directory of the user sharing the mailboxes,
INDEX= places user-specific files of the user accessing shared mailboxes
into his/her own hierarchie.

- --
Steffen Kaiser