[Dovecot] failed: Message has been copied too many times

Angel L. Mateo amateo at um.es
Thu Oct 24 13:37:24 EEST 2013

Hello,

	I'm running dovecot 2.1.16 in a ubuntu 12.04 server, with lazy_expunge,
SiS and mdbox format.

	The problem I'm having is that the index for one the mailboxes of one
of my users is growing too much. This is not the first time of this
problem. In previous cases, is because a message is duplicated thousand
of times (I haven't found any reason for this). In these cases, moving
messages to other folder and moving again to this same folder fixes the
problem. So I have tried this, and I have moved all messages from this
folder to another one.

	But this time, after this, indexes directory is still using a lot of
space. And the folder seems to have more serious problems:

amateo_adm at myotis51:~$ sudo doveadm search -u vlo  mailbox
BORRADOS.INBOX.MNCS
doveadm(vlo): Error: Syncing mailbox BORRADOS.INBOX.MNCS failed: Message
has been copied too many times (59306 + -1)

	I have tried to delete the folder, with the same result:

amateo_adm at myotis51:~$ sudo doveadm mailbox delete -u vlo
BORRADOS.INBOX.MNCS
doveadm(vlo): Error: Can't delete mailbox BORRADOS.INBOX.MNCS: Message
has been copied too many times (59306 + -1)

	And to purge user's mailbox, but it didn't fix the problem.

PS: If this could help, BORRADOS. is the namespace used by lazy_expunge
plugin.

--
Angel L. Mateo Martínez
Sección de Telemática