[Dovecot] secure email server

Bernd Petrovitsch bernd at petrovitsch.priv.at
Wed Oct 23 16:27:08 EEST 2013

On Mit, 2013-10-23 at 15:21 +0200, Frerich Raabe wrote:
> On 2013-10-23 13:21, Reindl Harald wrote:
> > Am 23.10.2013 13:16, schrieb BONNET, Frank:
> >> my first question is : does postfix and dovecot are able to use an
> >> encrypted filesystem such as Encfs?
> >
> > dovecot and postfix are userland-applications
> > it's not their job to bother about a filesystem
> > this is a kernel-task
>
> Not all userland applications work equally well with all filesystems
> (consider programs which work poorly with NFS because they are built
> around the assumption that certain syscalls are fast).

That assumption is somewhat optimistic and - thus - these applications
are obviously buggy.

Since Dovecot works on NFS, it should work with almost all filesystems
and (relatively) slow ones too.
And MTAs (like postfix) are also build for (and used in) large systems
so they should better work on NFS and slow I/O too.

	Bernd
Bernd Petrovitsch                  Email : bernd at petrovitsch.priv.at
                     LUGA : http://www.luga.at