[Dovecot] doveadm: Fatal: open(/dev/tty)

Dan Langille dan at langille.org
Tue Oct 22 21:52:25 EEST 2013

I received this message today, and remembered, you can't do that...

$ doveadm pw -s SHA512-CRYPT
Enter new password: doveadm(dan): Fatal: open(/dev/tty) failed: No such
file or directory
</pre>

It seems if you have no tty, you can't create a password.  Surely there
is a better way to do this?

Looking at the code, it's trying to open the tty and turn off echo.

For the record: FreeBSD 8.4-RELEASE-p3

And yes, there is no console.  I'm attached to a FreeBSD jail from the
host system, directly via the ezjail-admin console command.

# w
6:52PM  up 18 days, 23:34, 0 users, load averages: 0.96, 0.57, 0.46
USER             TTY      FROM              LOGIN@  IDLE WHAT
#

Ain't nobody there..

--