[Dovecot] Strange output from LIST command

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Fri Oct 18 04:31:29 EEST 2013

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013, at 11:46 PM, Michael M Slusarz wrote:
> Quoting Bron Gondwana <brong at fastmail.fm>:
>
> > On Tue, Oct 15, 2013, at 06:23 AM, Michael M Slusarz wrote:
> >
> >> No.  RFC 5819 [2]:
> >>
> >> "For each selectable mailbox matching the list pattern and selection
> >> options, the server MUST return an untagged LIST response followed by
> >> an untagged STATUS response containing the information requested in
> >> the STATUS return option."
> >
> > Just wondering if the INBOX was SELECTed at the time?  There's some fun
> > interaction around STATUS and SELECT in RFC3501.
>
> Except as I read 5819, this is completely irrelevant.  LIST-STATUS !=
> STATUS.  LIST-STATUS produces STATUS-like responses, but isn't
> controlled by any of the rules of the original STATUS.  At least
> that's how I interpret it.

Yeah, that may be - except at least in Cyrus they share quite a lot of
common code.  Probably in Dovecot as well.  Such things are a fertile
ground for bugs, particularly in IMAP with all the ugly special case
corners that exceptions create over time.  I wish "SELECTED" was less
special in a bunch of ways.

> Looking at the rest of this thread, I think we are all in agreement
> that something is fishy.  As OP reported, it appears to be something
> specific with personal namespaces (possibly 'INBOX.' only).

Yep, definitely looks fishy!

Bron.

--
  Bron Gondwana