[Dovecot] POP3 Setup help - more info

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Tue Oct 15 02:55:14 EEST 2013

On 15/10/2013 02:58, /dev/rob0 wrote:

> In addition to the ignored replies in the other thread, I'll ask
> this: why do you want to use POP3? IMAP can do everything POP3 can
> do, and it's superior in many ways. POP3 should have died out a
> decade ago.

Not sure what country he's in, but I'll comment on that comment :)
Some countries, disks are not cheap, for instance in Australia, disks
and most hardware is on average over 200% more expensive, than the U.S.,
I've been given some pricing that makes it 350% dearer.

Most ISP's here, even the most largest ones, only offer pop3 - imap is
reserved for those very few using webmail.

Of the very few that do offer imap, the take up rate over the years is
negligible, such that it is not worth the effort, likely due to privacy
which most aussies take seriously.

Although we are not as bad as the US with its publicised broad over
reaching FISA warrants, it is still all too easy for law enforcement
here to get warrants to secretly access your mail if on ISP servers, but
bloody hard to do so if you use pop3 and have already d/l it to whatever
device/client you choose to use.

Then there's the other law, yes, those obnoxious jackass interfering
govt #$E# with nothing else to do but regulate everything but "thin air"
(give em time they'll do that too), IOW, imap, providing a service where
every single email is stored on servers, you are accountable for, and
must be recovered, even if idiot1234 deletes a message by mistake and
when you say, no, you deleted it tuff luck, you can be sued for their
loss of data.

With pop3 that onus and risk is removed.