[Dovecot] Email address with special characters in userdb

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Mon Oct 14 19:37:53 EEST 2013

On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 01:24:45AM -0400, Arnon Weinberg wrote:
> I have a userdb file set up in passwd-file format containing the
> following entries:
> >doveadm user test1*test2 at test.com
> test1-test2 at test.com
> test1étest2 at test.com
> test1 at test2@test.com
> test1%test2 at test.com
snip
> I believe these are all valid characters for email addresses (per
> the RFC) except '@' (which ironically works without escaping).

No exception is made for "@". *All* 7-bit printable characters, ASCII
32 through 127, are allowed. RFC 5321.

> How can I get them working?
>
> >dovecot --version
> 2.1.16

See auth_username_chars in your conf.d/10-auth.conf file. RFC 5321
notwithstanding, it's reasonable and usually a good idea to limit the
characters that YOUR SITE will allow in usernames. You can still send
mail to <"eat at Joe's"@example.com>, but in general, if you plan to use
such addresses in your own domains, you should consider rewriting
them in your MTA (aliases(5) or similar.)