[Dovecot] Problem with Dovecot after upgrade to Debian 7.0 (stable)

Milan Milošević mmilan at svetnauke.org
Sat Oct 12 23:24:13 EEST 2013

Dear all,

few days ago I updated Debian to the latest stable and since then
Dovecot is not working. I use Dovecot as LDA for Postfix and also for
IMAP access. Also I used SASL and everything was ok before update. After
I updated to Dovecot 2.1.7 (it used to be 1.x before) it looks like that
e-mail delever is working but I can not configure IMAP access to work.

All users/passwords are stored as local users in /etc/passwd

When I tried to connect to imap log file shows:

Oct 12 22:16:16 seenet-mtp dovecot: auth-worker(24788): Debug:
pam(user at mydomain.com,178.x.y.z): lookup service=dovecot
Oct 12 22:17:16 seenet-mtp dovecot: auth: Error: auth worker: Aborted
request: Lookup timed out

Also tested access opensasl clent and after I tried to log in I have
received:

* OK Waiting for authentication process to respond..
tar NO [UNAVAILABLE] Temporary authentication failure.
[seenet-mtp:2013-10-12 20:20:27]

# doveconf -n

# 2.1.7: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 3.2.0-4-686-pae i686 Debian 7.2
auth_debug = yes
auth_debug_passwords = yes
auth_mechanisms = plain login
auth_verbose = yes
auth_verbose_passwords = plain
login_log_format_elements = user=<%u> method=%m rip=%r lip=%l mpid=%e %c
mail_location = maildir:/%h/mail
namespace inbox {
   inbox = yes
   location =
   mailbox Drafts {
     special_use = \Drafts
   }
   mailbox Junk {
     special_use = \Junk
   }
   mailbox Sent {
     special_use = \Sent
   }
   mailbox "Sent Messages" {
     special_use = \Sent
   }
   mailbox Trash {
     special_use = \Trash
   }
   prefix =
}
passdb {
   driver = pam
}
protocols = " imap"
service auth {
     mode = 0666
   }
}
ssl_cert = </etc/dovecot/dovecot.pem
ssl_key = </etc/dovecot/private/dovecot.pem
syslog_facility = local0
userdb {
   driver = passwd
}