[Dovecot] Questio about replication

Patrick Westenberg pw at wk-serv.de
Thu Oct 10 14:53:59 EEST 2013

Hi everyone,

this article
(http://blog.dovecot.org/2012/02/dovecot-clustering-with-dsync-based.html)
describes the situation for director/NFS-based clusters and SSH-based
clusters.

Right now I'm running the first setup with one proxy/director and two
backends (all 2.2.x) mounting an NFS-share but I'd like to get rid of
NFS (it's slow) and, if one backend is down, the proxy still sends the
user to that backend.

The article says:
"High-availability non-NFS setup
One possibility is to use Dovecot proxies, which know which servers are
down. Instead of directing users to those servers, it would direct them
to replica servers."

My question is, if I can still use my proxy/direcot setup but every
backend having it's local (or iSCSI-backed) ext4 storage and not using
the SSH-based replication method?

Regards
Patrick