[Dovecot] How to configure statistics tracking

Bruce Marriner bruce+kolab at bmts.us
Thu Oct 3 21:30:43 EEST 2013

On Tuesday, October 1, 2013 02:56 PM CDT, Steffen <skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-brs.de> wrote:

> Bruce Marriner wrote:
> >
> > I was hoping someone could tell me which file these settings should
> > be added to? Do they all just go into the same file or different
> > files?  I have a primary dovecot.conf file then inside conf.d/
> > there are dozens of files that hold the configuration settings for
> > all the different parts of dovecot.
> >
> > Would I just add all of these settings into a conf.d/stats.conf
> > file that would be pulled into the main configuration?
>
> best way IMHO, that way the settings are not overridden on update.
>
> > Does it matter what order the (10-stats.conf, 20-stats.conf, etc)
> > the file is set for?
>
> latter settings override previous ones, but this is seldom used except
> to override default options, I guess.
>
> - --
> Steffen

Thanks Steffen.  I added all the lines into a 90-stats.conf file and Dovecot complained about not being able to load a module with an error about the 1st line:

mail_plugins = $mail_plugins stats

So.. I opened up 10-mail.conf and added stats to the existing mail_plugins variable there.  Now it's working.

Not sure why it didn't work have everything in the same file though.   If I can, I'll try to figure that out.

I was hoping to find out which users were using up all my bandwidth :)  But the stats doesn't seem to detail that in any way that I saw.

The real problem I found out though was Outlook 2013 has a problem with IMAP and it transfers tons of data on each sync.